This delicious main dish features cauliflower slow-cooked in curry powder and aromatic veggies. Shrimp and chickpeas can be added towards the end. This dish is best served over brown basmati rice, with cilantro and peanuts.
- Ingredient Checklist
- 5 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 cup 1/4-inch slices carrots
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen medium shrimp in shells
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup unsweetened light coconut milk
- 2 ⅔ cups cooked brown basmati rice
- ½ cup snipped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup chopped unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- Lime wedges
A 5- to 6-qt. In a slow cooker, combine the cauliflower florets with onion, carrots and chicken broth. Cover and bake in the oven for 5-6 hours, or 2 1/2-3 hours.
If frozen, you can thaw shrimp. If you prefer, peel and devein the shrimp. Rinse shrimp; pat dry. Turn up the heat if you are using low. In a saucepan, combine coconut milk, shrimp, beans, and coconut milk. Cook for 30 minutes more.
Serve shrimp mixture over rice. Serve with lime wedges and sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro.
Serving Size: 1/3 cup shrimp mixture, 1/3 cup rice Exchanges
3 lean protein, 2 starch and 1 1/2 vegetable